LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To repeat, or not to repeat, that is the question...

Hi Lulu, I've been offline for a few days -- accounting got in the way of the REAL world (of knitting, color, Kaffe Fassett) .

I'm only about 4" from the top of panels #1 and #3 (right-front, and left-back). I'm knitting the two simulataneously, like two sleeves, and they're getting pretty bulky, as you might imagine. I haven't weighed them yet, but you can see that I now carry my knitting project around in a picnic basket!



It'll soon be time to decide which phase I should tackle next. I've already decided to knit the gorgeous intarsia yoke separately, starting with a provisional cast on. That way, I won't have 8 square feet of thick coat panels hanging off the needles. Then I'll simply weave it to the top of the two back panels. So I COULD start the back yoke next, even though I've knit only one of the back panels. I then could alternate knitting some intarsia with knitting easy stripes.

My worry? That this will be like knitting one sock and then getting bored and losing interest. I'm looking forward to that beautiful, beautiful yoke as the very best, most fun part of the project. So shouldn't I leave it for last? If I do the back yoke now, won't everything else be anticlimactical?

I'm really hyped about this blog and doing our coats together, but I look around at all the UFOs (unfinished objects) in my knitting corner and I fret a little. On the other hand, the intarsia will be slow, and knitting both front and back yokes at the very end might really slow me down. I've always liked frosting so I'll eat all the cake first, leaving the frosting for last...but then there's too much frosting at the end, it's too sweet, and I regret not eating it in bits, along with the cake...


I should have learned these simple life lessons years ago, but here I am. Sage advice, anyone? While you ponder that, here are my latest photos. This is the panel that's on the left side of the classic photo, and you can see that I'm now up past the very noticable turquoise stripe. And my goodness, doesn't that skirt flare!

3 comments:

  1. I would personally knit both at the same time... Frosting is supposed to be eaten with the cake, on its own it's too sweet! And the cake a bit too dry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, those coats -- what drama!! I'm so impressed. Buffy, I would definitely save that beautiful collar (aka, fun part) for last. As a reward, right? And Lulu, I loved the description of your soaking your yarn in tea. It does make me think about what my own cup of tea is doing to my teeth....but oh, well!
    Knit on, you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my grandfather always said "eat the best first, and you will always eat the best.:

    ReplyDelete

 
Share