LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Saturday, May 8, 2010

It takes a knitting station

Buffy, the Jug Coat is on the needles!
See the yarn on the needles resting on the seat of the chair!  I've started! I'm a quarter of the way through line one!


After the provisional cast on, it was time for a break. Here's the problem:  There are so many color changes that happen so fast (less than fifteen stitches at the most between jugs) that I have to have everything around me. So I set up a knitting station by the coat cupboard.






There's not much natural daylight so I added the color-correction lamp that I usually use only at night. Then I turned the lid over in the copper boiler so that it could be used as a table, clipped the first three rows of patches (with the deleted patches crossed out) to the door with a magnet, and found some pots to hold the colorways for the first four patches. The boiler will hold the Jug Coat as it grows larger and larger.




I've punched holes in index cards numbered one through four which will hold a sample of each color as I knit these first four patches. The ground colors for the next row of patches have been bagged and tagged. I will select the china grounds and blue outlines when I get to line five and toss them into the respective color-keeping pots, too. Each jug has it's own unique color scheme, although all are extremely similar. I've got more than 10 light creams and 10 or so light pinks and blues for the jugs which can be mixed in many combinations. I suppose I have a dozen or more dark blues for the jug patterns. 




The art part of this coat is to pick the right color combinations as colors constantly change. KF says to try for a marbled look, but his patches look a bit like speckled granite to me. I'm guessing you can't go wrong--it's art! Surrounded by all the yarns, choosing the next one from many choices can be a slow process.  That's where one could benefit by using the "magic balls" we discussed. They would cut down on time spent on yarn selection but you would have to be comfortable with potluck choices.
  
It's time to move in a TV, music and books on tape--well, books and music on iPhone. (And forgive all the fuzzy photos I'm posting. All have been taken with my iPhone.)

1 comment:

  1. love this place! I wish I had one like that!

    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete

 
Share