LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Friday, May 7, 2010

Coat on a diet

Buffy, here's the original proportions of KF pattern along with the redrawn schematic.  Following your suggestion, I've put the Jug Coat on a diet with the removal of a vertical row of squares in both the front and the back, bringing the coat down to a 60-inch circumference at the bottom edge. This will "shorten" the sleeves by 3-1/4 inches on each side, but schematically they will maintain the same balance. This should be perfect for my short arms, and if not, I could lengthen the cuffs a bit. The coat body at 30-inches across should still have plenty of roomy swing.



           I'm tempted to join the back to the front on the circular needles and knit in one piece until the sleeves. But this would make the side pockets a problem. They would have to be steeked, which would disturb the design. Perhaps I can add a lumpy three stitches where the pocket will be and then carefully open a steek, turn the extra to the inside, and block out any wrinkles. In my prior life, I've done neither steeks nor pockets. What's your opinion? Go pocketless?

Or better, I could knit in one piece until the pockets, knit the front and back separately for the length of the pockets, and then rejoin and knit in one piece up to the sleeves.  

To keep all the blue-and-white china designs, I'll need to drop some duplicate designs off the back squares and replace them with the vases dropped from the front. I'll get to look different coming and going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share