LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Monday, May 17, 2010

Yarn money well spent

Buffy, the WEBS tent sale was mobbed. There was an open-sided tent filled with tables of yarns in the parking lot in front of the wide open WEBS warehouse door where the cash registers were set up. Yarns were sold in unopened shipping bags of 10 balls each and the price was $20 and up for the bag. (Later I did see some Rowan cotton for $18/bag.)

Some colors in these closeout yarns disappeared quickly, but if you circled the tables, the piles were often restocked with the missing colors, and even more colors, quickly added from the warehouse by runners. And once, while I was contemplating projects for a bag of this orangy-red Valley Yarns Wildwood glittery mohair, the price was dropped from $35- to $25/bag. What to do? Buy two! The mohair will make two fabulous woven throws for Christmas presents. I bought about 10 bags of yarn in all. I should have taken a pickup truck.


My wallet took a big hit when I entered the store to buy four skeins, 25 grams each, of ShiBui Silk Cloud for the Jug Coat. The WEBS 20% discount kicked in and lowered the price to $12.50/skein. Still, fifty bucks for 100 grams of yarn was a bit much when the same dollars spent outside in the tent would have netted pounds.


Here's the ShiBui. I bought two skeins of ivory (one of which I have soaked in tea and wound off into a dozen small cakes, ready to knit), and a skein each of rust and mulberry. The dragonfly blue, also caked, was purchased from a fellow Raveler in Texas, and I've overdyed it with blue and burgundy Wiltons dye. Silk Cloud is the perfect name for this wisp of a yarn. It's making all the difference in the feel and look of the Jug Coat. Money well spent.

2 comments:

  1. Lulu -- I think I missed something in your previous posts -- why did you buy the Silk Cloud for the Jug Coat? Was it merely to make the final project weight less [I know that you mentioned that it sometimes felt like a "bath mat" at times, it was so dense]?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two reasons, really. A small wisp of Silk Cloud gives the coat a soft touch, and a slight bit of sheen. OK, three reasons: the three colors help tie the major blocks togehter, giving a bit more unity to the coat.

    ReplyDelete

 
Share