LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Too little gold (yarn, that is)

Hi LuLu,
I've been very remiss in not saying how excited I am about your Long Leaf Coat (LLC). It is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are wonderful, and we'll knock 'em dead, striding the streets of Rekyavik, Trondheim, Moscow (in winter, not now!), and Fairbanks in our fabulous 7-pound wool coats.

I'll have photos to post tomorrow: I've nearly finished the back bodice, and fear I'll not have enough gold-colored yarn for the front. It makes no sense that the instructions in Glorious Color call for 50 grams of medium green but only 25 grams of gold -- when the pattern clearly needs very much the reverse. Ah well, another little challenge.

I've also decided to make the next pair of panels narrower at the bottom. Let's see if I can explain this: The pattern calls for casting on 88 stitches at the bottom, which I did and then tapered down to the requisite number of stitches at the top. But I made the panels about 7" shorter than the pattern (to suit my 5'2" height)--which means the panels flare out disproportionately more than the original design. So I'm going to "steek" the sides of the two panels I've already knit--machine stitch and trim off the excess. (That'll also take care of all those yarn ends!) And I'll cast on fewer stitches for the next pair of panels.

Sitting in continuing education class today, I daydreamed about my next coat. How about skirt panels in slightly flaring vertical stripes (rather than horizontal), knitted intarisa style, with the bodice from of one of Kaffe's classic designs (stars, blocks, circles, poppies)?
Buffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share