LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Speeding to Peak Color

Buffy, fabulous!  The sleeve is fabulous! And I knew it would be--I just knew it!

I thought of your Kaffe Romeo and Juliet Coat  when I watched a documentary film of traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) holidays throughout the year. The traditional costumes were huge. Sometimes when the arms were held out, the sleeves hung straight down from the wrists almost to the ground. The clothes undulated and flowed with movement. I think that might be a "secret" of the Romeo and Juliet Coat: Just keep moving!

There are 160 stitches across the back of Kaffe's Long Leaf Coat, 20 less than the amount around one of your (new) sleeves. Although I am sure I have sped up now that I am using charts I can see (!), it is still taking me an hour to cross the row. The stitches go fast enough, but the color swaps are frequent. Sometimes the colors that make up the strands are of different lengths and I find myself attaching a single strand of yarn. This would all go a little faster if I was more willing to waste a bit more yarn. I can hardly make myself do that!



It is especially slow when I tuck in those wiry metalic threads. I am using them less now although I like the look because I read in a knitting "hint" book that the metal threads could act as "knives" and cut the wool yarns. The wool stretches with the weight of the fabric and the metal threads will not stretch.  But that 3rd (and sometimes) 4th wiry strand is exceedingly slow to manipulate. One has to look closely to see the minute glitz (the near yellow leaf)--unless it is after dark and the light makes it sparkle. Otherwise glitter is not really visible. All seven leaves across the bottom of the coat contain some of the metalic threads.

I've still eleven colors to select overall. Each color is combined at times with many others so this truely is a coat of many colors. It's fascinating to watch them combine, and I love this project.

One might think that these leaf colors are a bit "neon."  NOT! Here's proof!










The leaves are turning quickly, and picking up speed! Just as I am....

4 comments:

  1. Oh, my, I can hardly WAIT to see the rest of the colors. I love it so far! I'm sad but I have to agree with the metallic as a no-no; at least in my case the length is not working out so I'm going to have to stretch it quite a bit when I block. Which is not all bad since neither is thr width! Add-a-yarn-Steffi, they call me.

    You know what I just thought? How often are you really going to wear this? If a lot, then no metallic. If a little then I'd say go for it if the length is okay. You could also practice guillotining(sp?) a piece of yarn with a thread of metallic and see what it takes to cut it. I like those little glittery bits.

    And what wonderful leaf photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your secret message box. This time I got "dingnoph." Last time I got "douchebag." LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured out it takes me 1.38" (not 1.37" or 1.39," understand. :)) for each stitch based on my swatch + 6" for ends. So I count stitches using 1/2" per st + ends for the smaller areas and use 2-1/2 yd lengths elsewhere. I found as I knitted that I became much better at estimating. Not to mention you can use small leftovers for the veins, vein markers, the sleeves, or the band. So say I said the gremlin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise said: Looks great Lulu. I love the colours and they are certainly not too neon!

    ReplyDelete

 
Share