LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Monday, September 27, 2010

No sleeve contest: Kaffe was right!

Well, LuLu, I'm about half way up the full part of the 180-stitch sleeve, and my hunch was correct. Once I finished the 120-stitch sleeve, I could see that it would sit like a big round balloon on my arm, while I suspected that the 180-stitch sleeve (as designed by Kaffe Fassett) would undulate in and out. Guess what? He knew what he was doing! Here's the 180 sleeve.



And here, for comparison is the 120 sleeve:

There's just no question: the big sleeves, regardless of what they weigh or how unusual they will look, will be much more interesting and graceful than my attempt to scale them down.

Here are a few close-ups:






By the way, I decided to knit in the round, and it's going well. I have to change direction at the beginning of each stripe in order to switch from stockinette to reverse stockinette. Back when I started the first sleeve, I worried about getting confused, but now it's easy to know when to turn around. No purling!!!

These yarns are the foundation yarns of the coat: L to R, a mohair, a single-ply, worsted-weight tweed, and a fine single-ply, also tweed. Tonight I'll be knitting 9 rows of the three yarns held together to produce that very wide, fuzzy-looking stripe around the sleeve in the classic photo at the top of our blog.

Knit on! Buffy

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share