LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hits?

Lulu, did you say we have HITS already? And we haven't even started? Well, here goes.

Post-April 15 depression is a problem for tax accountants, but this year was different because you lured me into this blog, LuLu, and into an incredible project. I have been lusting after the Romeo & Juliet coat ever since I found Kaffe Fassett's "Glorious Colors" at our local library. (I thought his name was pronounced like "coffee" in Danish: KA-feh. No, LuLu explains: it's Kafe. Like Safe.)

If I were really patient, I could hunt down all the yarns called out in the book. They aren't manufactured anymore, but maybe hidden away one could find all SEVEN POUNDS of yarn needed... (Seven pounds!!!) Or, if I were very imaginative and carefree, I'd just start knitting with whatever yarns I found and let the colors emerge... But I'm an accountant, after all and brain-dead on April 15. I need someone to hand me the pattern and the yarn and just let me knit.

So, for about the price of three days in Cabo (this IS my post-tax-season fling, after all), I let LuLu dare me into ordering up the package of original yarns for the Romeo & Juliet coat, as advertised on e-Bay.

Was this one of the dumbest things I've ever done? Most extravagant? There's not one item of clothing in my closet that costs even a quarter of what I just blew on a bunch of balls of yarn that might, MIGHT someday be a coat. A coat that will weigh SEVEN POUNDS if I make the sleeves to full KF specs. Maybe on the East Coast where you live, LuLu, a SEVEN POUND coat would make sense in the dead of winter. But here on the West Coast???

Maybe tomorrow I can figure out how to post photos -- of the day the package arrived, and The Color Surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Share