LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

LULU'S LONG LEAF COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

BUFFY'S RED, RED ROMEO & JULIET COAT

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Knot to be, or not?

So, Buffy, this is the question!

In Brandon's Poppy class, you mentioned that you tied up a "magic ball" from one- and two-yard pieces of yarn. How do you handle those knots when you are knitting along?

I love the idea! It's so thrifty and so now to "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." Just tugs at my heartstrings. But, oh, those knots!

The magic ball reference above has lots of great comments, some having to do with the knot problem. And this is one of the best:

"About 20 years ago I used this technique to make a sweater-coat. The background was all pinks and the flower motif (from Kaffe Fasset) all blues. I started off with my own stash, but as the sweater grew I needed more yarn so asked the women in my knitting group if they had pinks or blues. Sure enough the did, and now my finished sweater is a reminder of my friends the knitters. I still wear it; still get comments on the street and shopping. One point: in knotting, I left about 3" tails and knitted them in as I worked." uletas, 9/29/03



1 comment:

  1. I don't always bother to knit them in. If there are a lot in a small area they can make the fabric quite lumpy. I mostly leave them. They felt into the fabric quite quickly when it's worn and especially when its washed.

    ReplyDelete

 
Share